One of my recent knitting projects has been on the naughty step for the last month. It had promised me so much and left me feeling a bit meh, so I got angry with it, stuffed it back into its project bag, and it has been sitting in the corner of the living room.
I’m not sure what went wrong, it might have knit up too big, or I might have envisioned it differently… whatever it was I can’t decide how to fix it.
The guilty party is Flaum by Justyna Lorkowska. The pattern is really interesting to construct, it’s designed to be a loose shell shape made up in fishermans rib. I loved how cosy it looks and I decided to copy the yarn combination from another knitter on Ravelry. This is my half a Flaum made up with Drops alpaca and Drops brushed alpaca silk…
I know what you’re thinking… but what’s wrong with it? Well, nothing really. I can’t quite put my finger on it… no, wait, yes I can…
There it is! This thing feels like I’m wearing a life jacket. There’s just so much extra bulk under the arms!! It’s down to the thick and squooshy fishermans rib, which I love the look of! But I can’t see me ever wearing this, which is kinda heartbreaking after spending so long knitting up all that ribbing.
I’ve thought of ways of fixing it without ripping it all back… like stitching the ribbing together between those orange markers… but is that a solution I want to try, if it doesn’t work I’ll have to unpick all of that THEN rip it back.
Maybe this just isn’t the pattern for me. Because it does look exactly as the pattern example. And other people’s versions have been just gorgeous. I’m just not sure about my version of it.
Suggestions are welcome here… excuse me while I go and put this back onto the naughty step while I decide what to do with it.